This means that we can support staff working at all levels to join one of the Science Council’s professional registers and get the recognition they deserve.
The CSci award has already been given to more than 15,000 scientists. It is for staff in more senior roles compared to the Registered Scientist (RSci) and Registered Science Technician (RSciTech) statuses we have been awarding so far.
To get the CSci status, scientists need to show that they can do the following:
- Deal with complex scientific issues, both systematically and creatively, make sound judgements in the absence of complete data and communicate their conclusions clearly to specialist and non-specialist audiences
- Exercise self-direction and originality in solving problems, and exercise substantial personal autonomy in planning and implementing tasks at a professional level
- Continue to advance their knowledge, understanding and competence to a high level and demonstrate a commitment to CPD
- Demonstrate an understanding and commitment to Health and Safety and environmental issues related to employment
- Comply with the relevant Codes of Conduct
Details of how to get CSci status through the IST will be published on this wesbsite soon. In the meantime, you can find out more on the Science Council’s Professional Registers website: www.professionalregisters.org.